Captain Albert Parks Hurt

29 Aug


In this town, on Thursday evening, by the Rev. Mr. MacNair, Mr. A. P. HURT, and Miss MORGIANA C. ERAMBERT, daughter of Mr. Henry Erambert, all of this place.

The printers acknowledge the receipt of the customary present, and wish the donors a pleasant journey through this life, and a happy union in the next.

[The North Carolinian – Saturday Morning, November 21, 1840]

We noticed the arrival at our wharves yesterday afternoon, from Wilmington, Del., of a new iron sternwheel steamer called the A. P. Hurt, after her worthy commander, Captain A. P. Hurt, under whose supervision she was constructed.

The A. P. Hurt is intended as a passenger and freight boat between this place and Fayetteville, and from her light draught of water, handsome finish and roomy accommodations, we should think her owners would find her adapted to all the demands of the trade. Her dimensions are as follows:–Length 118 feet, exclusive of wheel; breadth of beam 18 feet; depth of hold 4 feet. She draws 17 inches when light, and is of 125 tons burthen. On her upper deck are the saloons and berths; she has 36 berths in all. There are six state-rooms with three berths in each—a saloon and dining apartment, a social hall for way passengers, and where gentlemen may smoke –a room, the last aft, for ladies traveling with children. All these are fitted up in good taste and excellent style.

The Hurt was built by Messrs. Pusey, Jones & Co., of Wilmington, Del., for the Cape Fear Steamboat Company, and will run in connection with the Flora McDonald in the Cape Fear Steamboat Line, for which Messrs. T. C. & B. G. Worth are agents in Wilmington, and Mr. J. A. Worth in Fayetteville. The fact that the boat was built under the personal supervision of Capt. Hurt, and that she will be commanded by him is sufficient guarantee for the character of the craft and her management. Her engines, we had almost forgotten to mention, are very powerful, and sufficient to drive her at almost any required rate of speed.

Wilmington Journal.

We are happy to announce the arrival here of this elegant boat. She left Wilmington yesterday at 11 A. M. and arrived here at 5 A. M. this morning.

She cost $16,000. Her proprietors have our best wishes for her complete success.

[Fayetteville Observer – Thursday Evening, May 17, 1860]

A SAD DISASTER.—We are pained to announce another fatal steamboat explosion on the Cape Fear. The boiler of the Kate McLaurin, a new and handsome freight and passenger boat, exploded on Tuesday morning last about 4 o’clock, at the Little Sugar Loaf, about 50 miles below this place, by which Capt. Wm. T. Evans and three hands lost their lives. Capt. Evans is supposed to have been thrown 75 or 100 feet into a cane-brake, which being overflowed in the high state of the river, his body was not found when we last heard. Charles, a free boy of color, is supposed to have been thrown into the river. William, a negro man belonging to Mr. Duncan McLaurin, was blown over the top of the new steamer A. P. Hurt, which was delivering goods at a landing near by. Capt. Hurt very promptly had him picked up, alive; he was brought to town in the Hurt, but died before he could be landed from the boat. The third boat hand lost was a free boy named John Henry Hayes, who was unhurt by the explosion, but was drowned in attempting to swim ashore.

At the time of the explosion the Kate was just in rear of the A. P. Hurt; both boats were stationary—the Hurt had stopped to land a box, the Kate came up and made an effort to pass, but not finding sufficient room had backed down a few feet.

Great credit is awarded to Capt. A. P. Hurt for his kindness to the crew of the ill-fated steamer.

The Kate drifted about 33 miles down stream and was then tied up by the men who remained on board. Most of the cargo was insured—all of it ought to have been. The boat is supposed to be not very greatly injured, and nothing in a pecuniary view distressing about it, in comparison with the sad loss of life.

The Kate McLaurin belonged to Messrs. Orrell & Dailey, cost perhaps $6,000, and had been running less than six months.

[Fayetteville Observer – Thursday Evening, May 31, 1860]

The Explosion of the Kate McLaurin.

We have received but little additional intelligence of this melancholy disaster beyond a few items from the Fayetteville Courier of yesterday. The new steamer Hurt was about twenty rods above the Kate, but sustained little or no damage from the explosion.

Captain Hurt says he saw two or three objects in the air shortly after the explosion, and thinks they must have been the lifeless bodies of Capt. Evans, and the negroes Hayes and Jenkins. Capt. H. made a thorough search for their bodies, but as the water was all over the low grounds he was unsuccessful.

A negro fireman named Chester belonging to Major J. T. Gilmore, was seriously injured. Others of the crew were slightly injured.

The Pilot had the wheel which moves the rudder blown out of his hands. He sustained no injury.

Captain Hurt, by his manly exertions, succeeded in saving several of the hands from a watery grave. He did all within his power to keep the Kate from sinking, but the largest hawsers with which he fastened her to his boat were not sufficiently strong. The upper works of the boat was blown into atoms; her hull is also badly damaged.

[Wilmington Daily Herald – Thursday Evening, May 31, 1860]


The Captain and three of the Crew Killed.

The Steamer Kate McLaurin of Orrell and Dailey’s Line, which left Wilmington for this place, collapsed her flues at Little Sugar Loaf about eight miles below Elizabethtown, between 3 and four o’clock on Tuesday morning last, killing Captain William T. Evans, her Commander, and two free negroes named Charles Jenkins and John Henry Hayes, and a negro man named Charles Beebee, belonging to Messrs. D. & W. McLaurin of this place. The Steamer A. P. Hurt was discharging freight about twemty {misspelled} yards above the ill-fated Steamer, and strange to say, she and her crew sustained very little damage.

The Captain of the Steamer Hurt saw two or three objects in the air shortly after the explosion, and thinks they must have been the lifeless bodies of Capt. Evans and the negroes Hayes and Jenkins. Capt. Hurt made a fruitless search for their bodies, as the water was all over the low grounds where they are supposed to have fallen.

The fireman, a negro boy named Chester, the property of Maj. John T. Gilmore, was seriously injured. Others of the crew were slightly injured.

The Pilot had the wheel which moves the rudder blown out of his hands. He sustained no injury.

Captain Hurt by his manly exertions succeeded in saving several of the hands from a watery grave. He did all within his power to keep the Kate from sinking, but the largest hawsers with which he fastened her to his boat were not sufficiently strong. She drifted several miles down the river where it is supposed she would lodge in a cove. The upper work of the boat was blown into atoms; her hull is also badly damaged.

Captain Evans was a clever gentleman, who by his affability and attention to his passengers won for himself an enviable reputation. His sudden and untimely death is greatly deplored.

The Kate McLaurin was built in Lower Fayetteville, under the supervision of R. M. Orrell, for Messrs Orrell and Dailey, and was one of the best and most handsomely finished boats upon the Cape Fear. She was valued at between $8,000 and $9,000.

At the time of the explosion she had on a cargo worth between fifteen hundred and two thousand dollars.

[The Weekly Courier – Fayetteville, N.C. – Saturday,
June 2, 1860]

BODIES RECOVERED.—We learn that on Friday last the body of Capt. W. T. Evans, late of the Steamer Kate McLaurin, was found at Elwell’s Landing, on the Cape Fear River, about twelve miles below the scene of the fatal explosion by which Captain Evans lost his life. Captains Hurt, of the A. P. Hurt and Barber, of the North Carolina, paid the last sad respect to the remains, which could not be removed, but were buried near to the place where found. There were no indications of any blow or other severe injury. The bodies of the two deck hands have also been recovered and buried.

[Wilmington Journal – Thursday, June 7, 1860]

MILITARY EXCURSION.—On Friday last the Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry gave a Steamboat Excursion and Target-Firing, complimentary to their brother-soldiers of the Lafayette Light Infantry. We regret that press of business prevented us from being present, but learn that, barring the extreme heat of the weather, every thing passed off well and to the entire satisfaction of all present.

The full ranks of the two Companies indicated the interest felt among the members; and soon after nine A. M. the new and beautiful Steamer A. P. Hurt, commanded by that favorite Steamboat Commander, Capt. A. P. Hurt, was under way for Cedar Creek, where a beautiful spot had been selected for Target exercise, near the residence of J. C. Blocker, Esq.

The firing being over, the Military, with a large number of civic guests, sat down to a sumptuous repast provided for the occasion, and mirth and hilarity prevailed.

We have been furnished with the following account of the firing:

Lafayette Light Infantry—No. of balls fired 147; No. of shots in Target 102. Best average shots, Serg’t B. Rush, 5 41-48; second best, Ensign Geo. Sloan, 6 inches; third best, Private Enniss, 6 1/3. Best single shot, Private Neubury, 1 ¼; second best, Private J. R. McDonald, 1 5/8; third best, Private hall, 2 inches.

Independent Company—No. of balls fired 137; No. of shots in Target 118. Best average shots, Private Jas. Wemyss, 3 ½; second best, Capt. Wright Huske, 3 ¾; third best, No. 32, 5 ½. Best single shot, Private John H. Anderson, ¼ inch; second best, Private James Wemyss, 1 3/8; third best Capt. Vann, 1 ¾.

After the Target exercises were concluded, an impromptu firing was gotten up between some of the elderly gentlemen present, and Mr. Wm. Lumsden, Sen., once of the three survivors in the Independent Company in the War of 1812, was declared the victor.

The Companies returned to town about sun-set, and the Prizes were awarded in front of the Fayetteville Hotel, by Neill McKay, Esq., prefaced by some neat and appropriate remarks. The first Prize, a beautiful silver Goblet, lined with gold, and provided by the Independent Company, was awarded to Private Wemyss. The second Prize, a very handsome silver Cup, was awarded to Capt. Wright Huske. This Prize was presented to the Independent Company (to be contended for by its members alone,) by some of its warm friends (not members) connected with the establishment of A. A. McKethan, Esq., which, by the way, always furnishes its full quota of good and true men to swell the ranks of the Old Company.

[Fayetteville Observer – Monday Evening, July 2, 1860]

The Excursion to Smithville.


Those Wilmingtonians who omitted to register on board the steamer Gov. Worth, Capt. Hurt, on the 4th of July, may well lament the sacrifice of pleasure they made thereby. The parties for the Black Fish Ground, the Lake, and the Sound, departed at an early hour, but at 8 o’clock a numerous company of ladies and gentlemen were assembled on the decks and in the parlor and other rooms of the trim and well furnished steamer aforementioned. A spirited air from the Rose Bud Brass Band, under the leadership of Allen Evans, proclaimed the hour of departure, and the “Worth,” released from her wharf, moved off for Smithville in gallant style.

But, the festivities of the day were not fully inaugurated until the famous Dram Tree had been passed and different groups had heard the legend which runneth that the name was bestowed on the venerable stump because the English, during the first American revolution, made it a point, whether passing up or down the Cape Fear, to appease their thirst, spiritually, when on a water line with it.

When the story was concluded, however, stringed instruments summoned dancers to their places, and the gay multitude thenceforth till the Government wharf at Smithville was touched, indulged in cotillions and waltzes with the spirit and grace peculiar to Southern belles and beaux.

The steamer was securely fastened to the wharf and numbers of the excursionists went ashore, some to visit acquaintances or friends, others to find wherewithal they could be fed, and a still stronger party (numerically, of course,) to ramble through the town. Sailing clubs, too, were formed, and let me say, en passant, that while their male companions were far from supplying a modern Adonis, our townswomen looked every inch Queens and made a gallery of beauty that might have inspired any mere dauber with genius of the true painter.

Besides these things, a regatta came off, and though strangers to the contestants, our company were much interested in the race and cheered the rival oarsmen vociferously as their success alternated, tigering the finishing dashes of the wooden-propellers which decided the issue.

At 12 o’clock, a salute (once worthy the prefix “national”) was fired by a detachment of troops in garrison at Smithville, Company I, 6th Infantry, recently on duty here. But to me it savored too much of Nero’s fiddling and I hurried off to drown the mocking echoes in the clangor of Mrs. Steward’s knives and forks, cut-glass and crockery. And the plan was a success – hungry men on such a dinner would have been almost oblivious to actual bombardment of their domicil. At the table were a platoon of fair ones from Wilmington, who are spending the summer months in the town. This is wise in them. They are within a few hours steaming of home, and yet receive the benefit of as delightful sea breezes as ever wing their way from old ocean. Not only so, but they can see the broad-breasted billows as they leap and roll in from far beyond their haven. The wonder to me is, that some enterprising company has not been formed, long ago, to erect suitable buildings at Smithville and open there a regular summer resort. Such an establishment would soon become so popular as to yield enormous profits on the capital invested.

The hilarities and inspection in the town and on the water beyond it, closed at 3 o’clock, and belling the excursionists aboard, the steamer was loosed from her moorings and moved off homeward. The dancing was resumed and carried on with full forces; but time enough was found to revive the memories associated with the different localities that dot either shore. On the right, Fort Fisher, Battery Buchanan, old Marine Hospital, Sugar Loaf Bluff, and on the left, Big Island, Orton, Fort Anderson, and Old Brunswick Town. These appearings were scanned with intense interest, and while some of them freshened old regrets and revived past sorrows, no one could have felt otherwise than proud of the history each and all of them supply to the living.

Soon, however, contemplation, retrospect, and dancing were terminated. Church spires, then masts from the shipping, and soon massive piles of brick and mortar, were before the returning excursionists, and in a twinkling the happy throng were at “home again.”

Eulogy of the trip is useless. The weather was fine, the river placid, the company refined and social, the men gallant, the ladies charming, the music excellent, and the fare sumptuous – including, of course, under the latter head, the ice cream, lemonade, cakes, and delightful confections supplied by Mr. C. R. Banks, of this city, without an iota of advance on ordinary prices. Indeed, Messrs. Worth & Daniel deserve the thanks of all participants in this excursion, a brief season of genuine, uninterrupted enjoyment. Our hope is that the dose will be often repeated.

[Wilmington Star – July 7, 1868]

Boats and Navigation on the

Cape Fear River.


Our river transportation is becoming more active and extensive. This, with the continued large production of Naval Stores, and the very large increase in cotton farming, shows plainly that the substantial business of this section is improving. The Cape Fear Navigation Company now reorganized is to open out the river, and keep it in better navigable order.

There are now two new boats building, another in contemplation, three lines of steamers, and three other separate boats, as follows: The Cape Fear Steamboat Company have two boats, the Hurt, run by Capt. Sam. W. Skinner, and the Gov. Worth, run by Capt. A. P. Hurt. The Hurt makes two trips to Wilmington a week and the Gov Worth about three trips in two weeks—both excellent boats for passengers and freight. This company embraces the Messrs. Worth, Lilly, Hurt and others.

The Express Steam boat Company have two boats, each making two trips a week, the R. E. Lee, run by Capt. Wm. Skinner, and the D. Murchison run by Capt. A. Garrison. Both are new and fast going steamers and do a large business. This company embraces Messrs. Williams, Murchison, Lutterloh, &c., we believe. The Peoples’ Line is a new company recently organized embracing F. W. Kerchner, Adrian & Vollers, Smith & Strauss, W. A. Whitehead & Co. Capt. T. J. Green and others, as we learn. This company has the Marion run by Capt. Phillips, and which was formerly owned by the Messrs Mallet, Capt. T. J. Green, formerly of the R. E. Lee, is superintending the business of the company, and they are building a new boat at Fayetteville, which is expected to be in use by May next. The capacity of this new steamer will be about 700 bbls. and 36 passengers, and will be some larger than the Hurt.

The People’s Line Company (capital of $25,000) expect to build another boat during the year perhaps, and with the three, they may accept mail contract and also connect with the Rail Road, both ways, three times a week.

The Juniper also a light new boat is run by Capt. A. Worth, but not on regular schedule. This boat is owned and used by the Messrs. Bullard, Willard Bros. & c., and some week or two ago went up to Averasboro during a freshet, and received there a heavy load of naval stores, and could not return until the freshet yesterday. The Halcyon has been repaired and is again on her regular trips, run by Capt R M Orrell. There has been some proposition by the People’s Line to purchase this steamer. The Orrell, a light boat is in damaged condition, and we hear is to be repaired and used for freight transportation—perhaps above Fayetteville.

Capt. Samuel W. Skinner is also building a small light steamer, the Little Sam, for use as we hear, on Waccamaw river to Georgetown in S. C. It will be finished in a few weeks.

Thus we see there are seven steamers actively and profitably engaged in our business now—half of them new and all in good condition, besides three more to be in use on the river during the year. With such facilities for cheap water transportation, Fayetteville can certainly receive the products of central North Carolina and furnish supplies in return, on better terms, than any other town in the state. We think arrangements might be made soon for travelers from Raleigh to Wilmington to come this way and spend the night on the boats—all within 24 hours either way, and for eight or ten dollars.

[The Eagle – Thursday, January 20, 1870]

—–We regret to learn that Mrs. Morgiana C. Hurt, wife of Capt. A. P. Hurt, of the steamer Gov. Worth, died in Fayetteville on Monday last, aged 50 years. Mrs. H. was a daughter of the late Henry Erambert, of Fayetteville.

[Wilmington Star – May 6, 1870]

— The venerable Capt. Hurt has retired from the command of the Gov. Worth, with the intention, we learn, of permanently abandoning active life upon the Cape Fear. He is succeeded in command of the above steamer by Capt. Albert H. Worth. Capt. Hurt, we hear it stated, will hereafter devote his attention to the work of improving the navigation of the river, which is being carried on under the auspices of the Cape Fear Navigation Company.

[ ? – May 28, 1870]

THE CAPE FEAR NAVIGATION COMPANY now represented by and chiefly owned by two steamboat companies, is operating in our river and making thorough improvements. Some 10 or 20 hands and three large flats or lighters, with axes, chains, saws, hooks, &c., have been actively at work for two or three months. They cut out stumps, logs, snags and obstructions, and remove threes projecting across or into the river from the banks. Large logs and pieces of timber sunk to the bottom, also trees with roots or limbs are carried down in freshets, and when the changing channel shifts or washes out for itself a new course, these timbers become exposed, perhaps across the new channel, or, one end by some means may become elevated with the other embedded in the sand and thus present dangerous snags and obstructions. Our river being lined with forests, and as vast quantities of timber are transported by it to market, the work of keeping navigation open in a changing sandy channel is no easy task.

The Navigation Company have been able to do but little to the river for several years, and every boat has had to “paddle its own canoe,” and no tolls have been collected recently. Many years ago this company was chartered with a number of individual stockholders, while the State was the largest stock holder. The State gave its interest to the Literary Board. Since the war the Literary Board sold its interest to the Express Steamboat Company and the Cape Fear Steamboat Company. These companies have bought also individual stock, so they now have a large majority of the stock. These two companies by authority of the charter of the Navigation Company are at work, and their designed improvements are nearly completed.

The Company will now charge tolls on all boats on the river. Boats not owning interest in the Navigation Company may dispute the payment of tolls, and claim a lapse or forfeiture of charter for non-performance of conditions. But the rights secured by special charter are not easily denied, and positive proof and much direct damage, and perhaps a perversion of the charter, will probably be necessary to show cause for forfeiture of the charger. The river has been navigated all the while, and perhaps not much damage has actually resulted to boats. The present representatives of the Navigation Company have done work and entitled themselves to get pay for it, and thus keep the charter in full effect. So the only question, it seems, would be whether their predecessors had kept the charter in full effect.

But legislation can yet be amended and enlarged on the subject.—Any how, tolls or no tolls, monopolies or what else, we hope a responsible party will have the duty of keeping the river in good navigable order. All logs, obstructions from land slides, &c., have been removed for a distance of 15 miles from Fayetteville, and from there the most dangerous snags, timbers, &c., are out, down to a few miles below Elisabethtown.

The workmen are there now, and will move on with the work until the high winter water will stop them. It is thought the entire work can be finished up thoroughly during the low water season next summer. It is intended to erect jettees or low side-dams at a few shallow or shoaly places, and thus increase or collect more volume of water in the main channel. Piling, of long plank or poles, driven in a line edge to edge, or else rock piled up, serve as the dams. In removal of logs, as at present, they are pulled up so as to be cut or sawed, and then put singly or in small piles on the ground at the water’s edge, and long stakes are driven firmly in the ground on each side of the log with the tops of the stakes crossing or lapping over them. Holes are bored through stake and log and both pinned together. This is necessary to keep logs from floating back into the river, and it is less expensive than to carry them far out on land. Capt. A P Hurt was first in charge of this work, but he has decided to quit river life, is disposing of his boat interest and preparing for other business, and Capt Jack Evans is now carrying on the Navigation work. The cost of material, tools and implements for the work was about $6,000, besides the expense of 10 to 20 hands, and the constant purchase and repair of tools, &c.

[The Eagle – Thursday, October 6, 1870]

IMPROVEMENT.– Capt. A. P. Hurt has refitted his store, on Hay St., very tastefully, and now has on hand a large and complete stock of boots and shoes.

[North Carolina Gazette – September 25, 1873]

A Reminiscence of 1865.

After the occupation of Fayetteville by the Federal troops, every one will remember the great scarcity of provisions which prevailed here. Every thing had been eaten up, or swept away. The Rail Road was cut off—the Steamboats captured and detained at Wilmington—and the war was not yet over. What was the destitute people to do for sustenance?

In this emergency, six citizens of Fayetteville, four white, and two colored, volunteered their services to the town authorities to go to Wilmington and endeavor to get supplies. The four white citizens were Col. John A. Pemberton, Major Robert M. Orrell, Capt. A. P. Hurt and Ralph P. Buxton. The two colored men were Isham Sweet and John Dunston. Their offer of service was accepted by the Mayor and Commissioners. Major Archibald McLean was at that time Mayor.

Having hastily constructed a common Batteau they proceeded in it down the River under a flag of truce, reaching Wilmington the third day. They were kindly received by the Federal authorities. General J. C. Abbot being in temporary command, during the absence of Gen. Hawley, and were promised assistance upon his return to the city. When Gen. Hawley returned, they delivered to him their letters from the Mayor and Commissioners, and laid before him the state of things existing in Fayetteville, and solicited aid. Unfortunately for their application, news had just reached Wilmington of the assassination of President Lincoln, and the rejection of the Sherman Johnston treaty, which immediately followed. The Fayetteville delegation were informed that hostilities were renewed, and that they must leave the Federal lines at once. At the earnest entreaty of Mr. Buxton, who begged to be allowed to remain in Wilmington, on any terms, even, to being placed in confinement, he was allowed to remain—his purpose being, if possible, to procure some relief for the sufferers of Fayetteville. The other gentlemen were required to leave at once which they did in the same Batteau in which they had gown down, and rowed their tedious way back to Fayetteville. In a day or two the war cloud passed away, Gen. Johnstone surrendered, and peace followed. Mr. Buxton, who had remained in Wilmington for the purpose, immediately renewed the application for supplies with increased earnestness, and General Hawley placed at his disposal a Steamboat freighted with brad, flour, meat, fish and other provisions, all donated as supplies to Fayetteville. The Steamboat reached the wharf at Fayetteville the very morning his weary associates had landed their Bateau at the same place. On the same Steamer, the “Hurt,” returned to Fayetteville many refugees, citizens, who had been absent from their homes a long time.

The Boat load of provisions was turned over to the Mayor and Commissioners, and was by them properly distributed among the suffering citizens of the town.

These things are well known to the people of Fayetteville, but are now placed on record for the first time.

[The Statesman – Saturday, July 18, 1874.]

Sudden death of Capt. A. P. Hurt.

A private letter was received here yesterday announcing the sad intelligence of the death of Capt. A. P. Hurt, which took place suddenly in Fayetteville on Friday. It appears that he retired to his room in the Fayetteville Hotel about 12 o’clock, requesting to be called to dinner, and when a servant was sent to arouse him it was found that he was cold in death. Deceased was between 60 and 70 years of age.

Capt. Hurt came here from Virginia about 1851 or 1852, and superintended the building of the steamers A. P. Hurt, which was named for him; the Governor Worth, the Flora McDonald, and other steamers. For many years he was a favorite captain on the river, known and respected by everybody who frequented the Cape Fear, and left the river about ten years ago, having achieved a moderate competency, since which time he has been engaged in merchandizing. Deceased lost his wife many years ago, and leaves no immediate descendants; but a large circle of attached friends mourn the departure from among them of one who held a high place in their affection.

[Wilmington Morning Star – Sunday, June 10, 1883]

SUDDEN DEATH OF CAPT. HURT. – Last Friday, at about dinner-time, the community was startled by the news that Capt. Hurt had been found dead in his room at the Fayetteville Hotel. About 12 m. Capt. Hurt went to his room to lie down, Mr. Chas. Glover, the proprietor of the hotel, handing him a paper to read as he passed. At dinner-time a servant went up to his room, but returned to the office and reported that he could not be roused. Mr. Glover then went to the room and found that Capt. Hurt was indeed dead, though his body was still warm. Physicians were summoned who pronounced it a case of apoplexy, and Dr. J. W. McNeill, the coroner, considered the cause of death so patent as to obviate the necessity of an inquest. The deceased was not a man of robust health but he was not an invalid, and was apparently as well as usual, talking with friends and acquaintances an hour or two before his sudden death.

Capt. Hurt was for many years prominently identified with our boating interests, being one of the best known captains on the river and a large stockholder in one of the lines. A steamer now plies the Cape Fear, bearing his name. After the war Capt. Hurt engaged in mercantile business for a time, but of late years he has led a life of quiet and retirement, spending the summer in the mountains and the winter in Fayetteville. He was a Virginian by birth, and was about 73 years of age.

[Fayetteville Observer June 14th 1883]

Comments Off on Captain Albert Parks Hurt

Posted by on August 29, 2009 in Uncategorized


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: