1876/7 … The Colville, etc.

26 Sep

The Excursion on the Steamer Governor Worth.

The excursion to the sea shore on the steamer Governor Worth, on the 4th, under the auspices of the St. George and St. Andrew’s Athletic Club, was no doubt one of the most pleasant and enjoyable events of the day. The boat left Messrs. Lemmerman & Coney’s wharf about 9 o’clock A. M. The crowd, under the wise management and foresight of the committee, who had previously intimated the course they intended to pursue in this respect, was just large enough to secure to those who were on board the comfort and convenience which are so essential in excursions of this character. The boat made the run to Smithville in very good time, arriving there about 11 o’clock, and those of the excursionists who did not join in the dance, some of whom had never been down the river before, engaged in the inspection of the very pleasant scenery on both sides of the Cape Fear and enjoyed the splendid breeze which prevailed. We have seldom seen a day more favorable in every respect for an excursion to the sea side.

Arriving at Smithville, in the harbor of which lay at anchor the revenue cutter Colfax profusely decorated with flags, and a fleet of handsome pilot boats also flying their flags and streamers, altogether presenting a very gay and animated appearance, the excursionists were notified that the boat would stop there a half hour and then proceed to Bald Head, returning in time to witness the races which would then be arranged. The crowd then landed visited the garrison where they were politely received and met with courteous attentions, and strolled about the town generally, enjoying the excellent sea-breeze with which this pleasant seaside town is always blest, and which renders it such an agreeable summer resort, after which, at the expiration of the half hour, many embarked on the


While others remained and passed interval in a pleasant dance at the Academy, in visiting friends, &c. The run to Bald Head, in the teeth of the stiff sea-breeze blowing, was intensely enjoyed; and upon landing at the beach the male portion of the crowd, numbering near a hundred, quickly selected a suitable spot, divested themselves of their clothing, and plunged into the briny waters of “Old Ocean,” where they indulged in the luxury of serf-bathing to their hearts’ content, than which there is not a better locality for such a healthy, invigorating and exciting sport on the whole Atlantic coast. One of the swimmers, who ventured rather too far out, was seized by the under-tow and in imminent peril of being carried beyond the reach of safety from his own exertions or assistance from his comrades, but luckily help was close at hand, and with a little assistance he was enabled to stem the treacherous current and come out of the dilemma unscathed. While the others were bathing a few of the excursionists repaired to the lighthouse, from the top of which a very fine view of the surrounding scenery is had.

After stopping here the necessary length of time – from a half to three quarters of an hour – the boat returned to Smithville, where the crowd again landed and enjoyed themselves in a manner best suited to their inclinations until the


was announced. After consultation, it was decided, for various causes, to have only one rowing race, with four oars. The boats entered were as follows: Captain C. C. Morse’s, with Pepper, Weeks Newton, and Junius Newton, as crew; Jacob J. Thompson’s, with Thompson, Polley, Davis and Benson as crew; Rankin Craig’s, with Craig, Melvin Craig, Chesley Craig and Atkins as crew; George Piver’s, with Piver Haskins, Owens and Williams as crew. Capt. Morse’s boat won the first prize, one pair of bracelets at $10, and Mr. Piver’s boat the second prize, a pair of sleeve buttons valued at $5.


The arrival of the Governor Worth’s party at Smithville was soon followed by that of the steamer Waccamaw, with the Cape Fear No. 3 firemen and a number of other colored people; and later by the steamer Douglass, which left Wilmington at 4 A.M. for the Blackfish Grounds. The party on the latter boat caught quite a number of fine fish, but the most of the excursionist got sea-sick on account of the roughness of the water.


The Gov. Worth started for home shortly after 4 o’clock and arrived at her wharf soon after 6, the excursionists being well pleased with their trip. The dancing was kept up until the boat touched the wharf.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday July 7, 1876]

The Western Excursionists – A Trip Down the River – The Return to the Mountains.

The excursionists from the mountains, who came down on the double excursion train under the management of Mr. Tomlinson, took their proposed trip down the river, yesterday, on the steamer J. S. Underhill. They had an excellent day for it, and we learn that they enjoyed the trip very much, which can well be imagined when it is probable that many of them had never seen a steamboat or large vessel before, or even a sheet of water of any considerable dimensions. The boat went a short distance outside, and a few of the party got sea-sick. A considerable stoppage was made at Smithville, where some indulged in a bath, while all enjoyed the splendid sea breeze.

A number of the ladies, accompanied by gentlemen, paid a visit to the Revenue Cutter Colfax, which was at anchor in the harbor, and the officers took much pleasure in showing them around, even firing a salute for their benefit. One of the young ladies from Davidson College, we learn, expressed the opinion that they (the officers) were “the best housekeepers she had ever seen.”

The boat, with its happy freight, including a goodly number of “city folk,” returned late in the afternoon.

The excursionists, which will include quite a number from this city, will leave on the double excursion train for the West this morning at 6:45 o’clock. Among the managers of the grand ball to take place at Hickory Monday night, are Messrs. J. W. Gordon, A. T. London, Wm. L. Smith, Jr., J. H. Hardin, Jas. W. Lippitt and A. H. Kelley, of this city.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday August 4, 1876]

Excursion by Moonlight and Otherwise.

We learn that it is the intention of Mr. J. S. Tomlinson, of the Hickory Press, who recently got up the grand double excursion, to give another excursion from the mountains to the seashore at an early day, probably during the latter part of this month, at which time Capt. Latham, of the steamer J. S. Underhill, proposes giving a grand moonlight excursion for the benefit of our visitors from the up-country and others who may wish to participate.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday August 11, 1876]

More Effects of the Late Storm.

“… The steamer J. S. Underhill, the Wilmington and Smithville packet, had her rudder disabled and was towed up to this city yesterday morning by the steamer Waccamaw.”

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday April 20, 1877]

A New Steamer.

The new steamer Colville, built at Messrs. Colville & Co.’s mill for Capt. Henry, formerly of the steamer Caswell, and intended to supply the place of that boat on the line between this city and Bannerman’s Bridge, on the Northeastern Cape Fear, made her trail trip on Monday afternoon. There were about twenty-five persons on board, and the boat behaved very handsomely, the machinery working as smoothly as could be expected. The Colville, named in honor of the senior proprietor of the mill, is a very neat and staunch little craft, evidently well adapted in every way to the purposes for which she is to be used.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday May 10, 1877]

A Drowned Man Discovered Floating in the River.

On Monday, while the steamer Gov. Worth was on the way to this city, and when at a point between Willis’ Creek and Prospect Hall, about twenty miles this side of Fayetteville, the body of a drowned man was discovered floating in the river. The remains were evidently those of a colored man, somewhat advanced in years, his hair being sprinkled with gray, but no one, along the river in that neighborhood seemed to have any idea who the deceased could be, no person to their knowledge having been missing. The man was in his shirt sleeves and had apparently been in the water about a week.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday June 8, 1877]

The Drowned Man Again.

The body of the drowned man, reported to our paper of Wednesday last as having been found drifting in the river about twenty miles this side of Fayetteville, on the downward trip of the steamer Gov. Worth, on the previous Monday, was subsequently taken from the water and an inquest held over the same. It is now understood that the remains are believed to have been those of a white man. A watch found on the person of deceased had the name of D. R. McLean engraved upon it.

Excursion on the Colville.

Our Pender friends had a delightful excursion, a few days since, on the new steamer Colville, on the Northeast river, which was followed by dancing, refreshments, &c., at Mr. G. Z. French’s landing. At a subsequent meeting on board of the steamer over which Mr. James H. Moore presided, Mr. J. P. Murphy acting as Secretary, resolutions of thanks were voted to Capt. R. C. Henry for the great pleasure afforded them, and also to Mr. French for the accommodation furnished for dancing, &c. Mr. W. T. Bannerman and Dr. H. F. Murphy addressed the meeting and spoke in very complimentary terms of Captain Henry.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday June 15, 1877]

Colored Man Drowned.

A young colored man, by the name of Thomas Dudley, steward on the steamer Colville, Capt. Henry, running between this city and Bannerman’s Bridge, Pender county, was accidentally drowned off that boat on Monday night last. The accident was not observed by any one on the boat, and, in fact, the young man was not missed until the Colville had arrived at her wharf. He was last seen when the boat was about three miles from town, about half past 9 o’clock, at which time the crew were engaged in putting in wood from a flat, two of which were in tow, while Dudley was employed in cleaning up his supper dishes. It is usual for him to lay down and take a short nap after his labor is performed, while awaiting the arrival of the boat at her destination, consequently his disappearance was not noted. Upon reaching the wharf, however, which could not have been more than thirty minutes after he was last seen, Capt. Henry called him to get a match for some purpose, when it was found that he was tripped up in some manner by one of the ropes attached to the flats in tow and thrown overboard, when he was immediately sucked under by the Colville or one of the flats. Deceased was about 22 years of age and leaves a wife and one child at Bannerman’s Bridge, where he lived. He has been in the employ of Capt. Henry for about four years, and is represented to have been attentive to his duties and strictly honest and trustworthy in every respect, so much so that Capt. H. would not have parted with him for any consideration if he could have helped himself.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday September 7, 1877]

Body Found – Inquest.

The body of Thomas Dudley, the young colored man who was drowned off the steamer Colville on Monday night last, an account of which was published in Wednesday’s paper, was found yesterday just this side of Rat Island, a little over three miles from the city. The remains were brought to the neighborhood of Messrs. Blossom & Evans’ distillery, where Coroner Hewlett, who had been notified, held and inquest over the body yesterday afternoon, the jury returning a verdict in accordance with the facts as already stated by us.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday September 14, 1877]

The Drowned Man.

We mentioned a rumor in our last to the effect that a colored man had been drowned off a flat or raft between this city and Point Caswell a few nights previously. We since learn that the man’s name was Jones, and that he was employed on one of the flats belonging to Capt. Paddison, of the steamer North East. He fell off the flat at a place called Heading’s Bluff, about 37 miles above Wilmington. Deceased was a resident of Wilmington, and leaves a wife, the woman referred to in our last as having made inquiries for her husband.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – Friday September 28, 1877]

Another Case of Drowning.

A young man by the name of Thaddeus Moore, aged about 25 years, a resident of Point Caswell, Pender county, was drowned at Mr. O. G. Parsley’s wharf, between Dock and Orange streets, yesterday morning, under the following circumstances: he came down the river on a flat, a day or two since, and yesterday morning, between 3 and 4 o’clock, he went on board of the steamer North East, which had arrived during the night and landed at the wharf mentioned, accompanied by a friend by the name of Pridgen. Soon afterwards persons on the boat heard a splashing in the river between the boat and the wharf, a flat loaded with wood and shingles being between the wharf and one end of the boat, leaving an open space. It is presumed that he forgot the situation of the boat and flat and was under the impression at the moment that he was stepping from the boat to the wharf, instead of which he stepped into the river. Two or three parties rushed to the rescue, including his friend Pridgen, who, in the excitement of the moment, made the same mistake that Moore did, rushing to the side of the boat and plunging into the river. He was rescued, however, by the colored fireman of the boat, a man named Kelly, but only a glimpse of his more unfortunate companion was seen ere he disappeared under the flat, whence he was carried by the treacherous current, adding one more to the large number who have lost their lives by falling into the Cape Fear.

Deceased, whose body had not been recovered at last accounts, was formerly mate on the steamer North East, and leaves a wife and one child to mourn the untimely death of a husband and father.

— A correspondent at Dublin, Laurens county, writing to the Savannah Morning News, under date of October 29, says: “The steamer Colville arrived at our wharf early this morning. The boat is owned by a company of North Carolina gentlemen and a few of our people, and is to run between this town and the Central Railroad. As the pioneer of an important enterprise, the Colville has been an object of general and intense interest to our people all day, who are now signalizing the event with big guns and other fireworks, while the officers and owners of the boat are being entertained at the Troup House at a public supper. The Colville is the first boat that has ever come up the river on low water (and it is now very low), thereby proving the fact that a boat can run on our river at all stages of the water. We look to this as a beginning of a new era in the business relations of our town and county with Savannah and the outside world generally, and we hope it will receive the attention and co-operation from the Central Railroad and its Board of Directors which its importance to them will warrant. The work on the Oconee river begun by the company some weeks ago is progressing rapidly, and before long we hope the Colville will be making regular trips to and from the Oconee bridge, to the great delight of our merchants and the travelling public.” The Colville was built here by Messrs. Colville & Co. and was formerly on the line between this city and Bannerman’s Bridge, up the Northeast river.

The Late Drowning Case.

The brother of Mr. Thaddeus Moore, who lost his life by drowning on Tuesday morning last, arrived here yesterday to look after the body, and see that it is properly disposed of when recovered, intending to leave the matter in the hands of Coroner Hewlett. We learn from Mr. Moore that his unfortunate brother could not swim a stroke, being always so afraid of water that he could never be prevailed upon to make an effort to learn. He not only leaves a wife and one child, as stated in our last, but a mother and other relatives at Point Caswell, besides the brother alluded to above, who resided at Burgaw.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – November 9, 1877]

Body Recovered.

We learn from Mr. E. Gause, one of the Smithville pilots, that the body of a drowned white man was found washed up on Snow’s Marsh, on the Brunswick side of the river, abreast of Federal Point and about four miles this side of Smithville, on Saturday afternoon last. There were eight dollars in money in one of the pockets of the deceased, together with a number of orders bearing the name of Thaddeus Moore, the unfortunate gentleman from Point Caswell, Pender county, who was drowned off one of the wharves of this city two weeks ago yesterday. Coroner Leonard, of Brunswick, subsequently held an inquest over the body, the jury returning a verdict of accidental drowning, after which it was interred on the Island, where it can easily be found by the family or friends of the deceased, who will no doubt wish to have it removed to Point Caswell.

The body drifted with the current full twenty-five miles, and Mr. Gause says that during his long experience as a pilot up and down the Cape Fear river he has never before known one to be carried such a distance. It looked fresh when first discovered and had suffered little or no mutilation.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – 1877]

A Young Man from Fayetteville Arrested on the Charge of Highway Robbery.

Chief of Police Brock received a telegram from Fayetteville, Thursday evening, signed by E. P. Powers, J.P., requesting him to arrest one John Williamson, charged with highway robbery, who would arrive here during the night on the steamer A. P. Hurt, with further directions to search the prisoner and send him back to Fayetteville. Accordingly a look-out was kept for the steamer in question, and at 2 o’clock yesterday morning she landed at her wharf, near the foot of Mulberry street, upon which she was boarded by Sergeant Savage, of the police force, and the young man was arrested in his berth, where he was lying asleep. He aroused and dressed himself, asked no question as to why he was arrested, and was taken to the guard house, where he is held to await a requisition from the authorities of Fayetteville. The sum of twelve dollars and fifty cents was found on his person.

Williamson, who is a young man of prepossessing appearance and well dressed, stated in conversation with the Chief of Police, yesterday morning, that he talked with Mr. Powers, on the market square in Fayetteville on Thursday morning, just before the steamer left, and that nothing was said about the matter for which he is now under arrest, and that no effort was made to detain him; if there had been he would not have been here; that he had intended to get off at a point on the river, but finally concluded to come here, and had expected to return on the boat yesterday afternoon. He also requested the Chief of Police to send him back to Fayetteville as soon as possible, in accordance with the instructions from Mr. Powers, Justice of the Peace; but as he would have to be sent under guard it was thought best that an officer should come after him, and a telegram to that effect was sent to Mr. Powers.

We learn that young Williamson has a mother in Fayetteville, who is highly respected.

After the above was written, Capt. Albert Worth, of the steamer A. P. Hurt, received a telegram from Justice Powers, of Fayetteville, directing him to bring Williamson up, and accordingly he was placed in the custody of Mr. James E. Flowers, at Capt. Worth’s request, and delivered on board of the boat, which left for Fayetteville between 2 and 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon.

[Wilmington Weekly Star – December 14, 1877]

Comments Off on 1876/7 … The Colville, etc.

Posted by on September 26, 2010 in Uncategorized


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: