06 Dec

“… In 1942, the privately owned Bee Line Ferry, Inc. – operating three vessels from Pinellas Point in southeastern St. Petersburg to Piney Point near present-day Port Manatee – ceased operations after the federal government requisitioned its boats for the war effort. As a result, automobiles and trucks had to detour 50 miles inland via the Gandy Bridge.”

[Excerpt from ”The Road Not Taken:  The History of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge” by Charlie Hunsicker and Allan Horton – online]


An island off the coast of South Carolina.

(YFB-38: t. 101; l. 122′; b. 22′; dr. 6′)

Pinellas (ex-Wilmington), a ferry built as a steamer at Philadelphia in 1882, was acquired by the Navy on 28 July 1942 on requisition purchase from the Bee Line Ferry, Inc., St. Petersburg, Fla.; renamed Seabrook and designated YFB-38 on 9 September 1942; and placed in service at Jacksonville, Fla., after conversion for Navy use at the Merrill Stevens Dry Dock and Repair Co.

Seabrook provided ferry services for the Naval Air Operational Training Command at Jacksonville throughout World War II. She was placed out of service on 14 September 1945. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 11 October 1945; and, on 14 March 1946, she was delivered to the War Shipping Administration for resale to her previous owner.

[Seabrook info from Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships online]

Comments Off on Seabrook

Posted by on December 6, 2010 in The Boats


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: